Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Intersection

Living on the Plateau for the past 19 years has been quite the experience. Especially recently with all the construction that has been going on. At the beginning of this semester, we read a poem called : The Intersection by Bryan Sentes where he spoke about the intersection of the streets Esplanade and Villeneuve. Since I was just there, I thought i might as well share the view that he must've when he thought of the poem. However, the "oldness" of the city and neighbourhood is receiving a facelift as you can see. I would've provided the poem as well, but could not find it anywhere online.. anybody have it and could post it?

Add Video

1 comment:

  1. I happened to have the poem with me, so here it is! I actually had Bryan Sentes for his 'Go to Hell' english class before I changed my english this semester. The picture puts so much more significance to the poem because you can picture what is he talking about. Hopefully, the construction doesn't ruin the beauty he describes in his poem...

    The Intersection

    where I'Esplanade
    meets Villeneuve

    that spring dusk
    the air's first

    breathable classic
    sunlit redbrick

    the unique quaint
    three-storey walkups

    characteristic of
    the quarter's charm

    are almost all
    so made up

    like new the one
    run down white tshirt

    underarm stain yellow
    building with muddy

    white frames peeling
    around cracked panes

    stands out like
    never among

    those other fronts
    kept up for years

    without a thought
    of what they'd go for.

    Sentes, Bryan. Ladonian Magnitudes. Montreal: DC Books, 2006, pp. 92-3.

    ReplyDelete