Sunday, December 4, 2011

Who's Occupying?


In the last few months, "Occupy Montreal" is being a subject of numerous discussions and debates and even though, it's a bit of a "cliche" now, I feel that there is a lot to do and improve about it. Personally I support the idea, and when I first heard about it, I was pretty excited and loved the idea that people were willing to sleep on the street in the name of a global cause. My imaginations though, were ruined when I first got there. The whole square was occupied by "bums" with tents. There was no enthusiasm at all, dirt was everywhere, and people were just not the kind I was imagining. I recognize my biased opinion about that protest since, I only went there once and I was totally discouraged to participate. Maybe the day I went was not a good one, maybe my expectations were drifting way to far, but it just didn't seem right. Where were all the middle class personages, where were all the students that have to carry all the economic dishonesty for their entire lifetime? The majority of the participants at that day were homeless people, for whom, in my opinion, living outside on the street is a personal decisions and being at the occupation is just a way to have a shelter and socialize. I personally think that the idea of the "occupy" movement all over North America is brilliant and there is a potential of a change. But don't you think that goal wasn't even understood by some of the participants, and the image was ruined?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Actually, no. I don't think that the goal was "missed." I think the homeless and otherwise disempowered people are very much a part of the discussion and the so-called 99%. They have every right to participate in whatever way they can.

    ReplyDelete